Procrastination is a thief of time and quality. When you procrastinate you rob yourself of the chance to produce things to the highest standard and give yourself a greater chance of failure.
Avoiding doing a task doesn’t mean it will go away, it just gives you more stress and less time to do it. A lot of people, myself included procrastinate to the point where they’re disappointed at the time (hours, days, months sometimes even years) they’ve wasted because they avoided a task by putting other things & people first. Avoid doing this because you’ll only blame yourself when things aren’t done and you lament over the lost.
How to stop procrastinating:
- Make to-do lists and set deadlines
- Remind yourself this task will not go away
- Put your phone on flight mode and delete apps from your phone (I do this when I have a ton of stuff to do and I genuinely don’t want to speak to anyone)
- Remember time is of the essence and there is no time better than now to start doing things. Life never stops there’s always something else being thrown at you
- What will the consequences be if this task is not completed.
- Do things in small steps because big tasks are overwhelming.
- Tell people what you have to do, it will make you more accountable because others will know and pester you if you have not finished.
- I like to finish the harder tasks first or at least early on as this makes me feel productive. This minimizes my stress levels so that if I do end up procrastinating, I will only have a small chunk left.